By Nicholas Newman
Here below are some of the key facts about the energy sector in the Greater Houston area, that I learned about attending the City of Houston and Greater Houston Partnership Trade and Investment mission in London on 10 July 2017:
- Energy capital of the world:
- with nearly 4,800 energy related firms and employs about a third of the US oil and gas sector jobs. It also has extensive business interests in renewables.
- There are more than 500 exploration and production firms in the area.
- More than 150 pipeline transportation businesses.
- At present, in terms of jobs:
- there is around $50 billion worth of petrochemical jobs underway:
- 26 percent of the US oil and gas extraction sector jobs are in the area.
- 14 percent of the US mining jobs are based in the area.
- The Houston Gulf Coast is home to:
- 94 Petroleum Manufacturing firms.
- 586 Chemical Manufacturing Plants.
- 211 Plastic Manufacturing Plants.
- This city region has:
- An engineering location quotient of 1.74.
- Access to 3 million workers.
To find out more see: