Today, the market for oil field services and products is even more competitive. It has been forecast by MarketsandMarkets that the global oil fields services market is growing at some 5% and is expected to be worth at least $144.36 Billion by 2020.
To capture a slice of the action, you will need to think about many things before you start your campaign. Firms in this sector will need to consider such issues as branding, marketing objectives, position in the market etc.
In order to judge the success and progress of their campaign, organisations must determine their targeted market position in 6 months, a years’ time etc.
Here is a list of a few suggestions that should be part of your marketing plan:
- Take a hard look at the product or service you are aiming to provide and ask yourself what problem is your new product or service trying to solve.
- Then you will need to determine through market research who are the decision makers you are trying to reach, and which media channels are best for reaching your target market. Depending on your market, this might include e.g. print, website, social media and broadcasting. Note: some are more effective than others in reaching your target decision makers.
- Make yourself available to the media for interviews and specialist comment about industry development. Since it is a good way to get noticed by potential customers.
The first things you should do:
- Create a marketing plan https://www.nicnewmanoxford.com/how-to-market-your-book-some-rough-notes/ the example I use is for a book, but equally, applies to all products and services.
- Next, create a dedicated website or section on your website to tell people about your product.
- On your website create a section reporting on your latest news
- Set up a dedicated company page on LinkedIn to promote your business https://www.socialmediaexaminer.com/create-a-linkedin-company-page-to-promote-your-business/
What else to do?
- Join/ set up and take part in industry specialist discussion forums, such as on LinkedIn, such as:
- With print media, it is worth approaching by the use of press releases, sponsored stories, press events etc.,, oil industry publications with associated websites, like:
- Pipeline and Gas Journal https://pgjonline.com
- Rigzone Magazine https://www.rigzone.com
- Petroleum Review https://knowledge.energyinst.org/magazines/petroleum-review
- Hart Energy https://www.hartenergy.com/
- Oil Voice https://oilvoice.com/
- In addition, some industry magazines might have a media kit listing their editorial schedule. Here is a link to Pipeline Gas Journal http://go.pardot.com/l/45692/2018-09-20/62t52v . You need to examine their editorial schedule for the coming year, since they are more likely to publish a story about your new service or product when it coincides with a focus on such a technology or service. For instance, African Oil Review might focus on drilling equipment in June, so you must contact them at least two months before publication date; it is likely to attract the publications interest in reporting about it.
- Consider approaching broadcasters, there is now several worldwide business radio and television channels that have programs that focus on the energy sector, such as BBC World, Bloomberg TV, Euronews, and CNBC etc.
Think about getting mentioned in the media.
- It is often worthwhile to contact a professional energy journalist, such as myself with your idea. Since I am always looking for new ideas to write and report about and I will have the expertise and experience on where to package, promote and deliver the information. Also as a copywriter, I produce authoritative content in various formats including web content, press releases, white papers, advertorials, etc.
- Contact the media and invite them to interview you https://www.nicnewmanoxford.com/how-to-improve-your-interview-performance-with-the-press/
- Attend the various relevant conferences, workshops and special events. Networking is a very effective method of marketing. http://www.ogj.com/event-listing.html
I expect you are very busy, so you could use my services as a professional energy journalist to do some or all of the above, depending on your budget. https://www.nicnewmanoxford.com/